Thursday, August 25, 2011

Made in London

Studying in London was a dream came true. God is good. He fulfills his promises. He gives what our heart desires.



I want to share one of my favorite verses in the Bible:

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give the desires of your heart"

- Psalms 37:4






This is my photo taken at the hallway of Central Saint Martins where legendary designers walked here such as John Galliano, Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney, Hussein Chalayan, Christopher Kane, etc.. (the list goes on.. haha) And YES! It's a great honor to be included in the last batch of students in Charing Cross building because next term, they are moving to a new building in King's Cross ;-) What a great privilege to be part of it!



I studied an intensive summer course on Vintage Fashion Bridalwear. On the first day of class, my teacher told us to design and make a wedding gown.

Here are the requirements she said:

- it has to be absolutely stunning!

- it can be simple or complicated.

- there should be something new, something old, something borrowed, and something blue..



We were given enough time to do a research and be inspired. I have done a couple of wedding gowns before and this time, I challenged myself of doing something I have never done. I came up with 3 different sketches.



And this is what I made..















I wanted to achieve a look that's modern and vintage at the same time. I fused these elements and came up with this design. Getting inspiration from the silhouettes of 1920's and 1950's, I added contemporary details of a British Armour outfit. I tea-stained the fabric to give it an old rustic feel, hand sewn more than 50 panels to create the bodice, used vintage beads I got from scraps of fabrics borrowed from my professor, and added cute little blue bows at the back. The skirt is structured but soft.



I thank all my professors: Rowena, Michaela, and Lara for all the great things they have taught us. To my classmates from all over the world, thank you for the fun memories! Let's keep in touch via Facebook and plan a reunion soon! Please let me know if you are planning to come to the Philippines ;-)



And of course, I would like to thank Almighty God for this memorable experience I will cherish for the rest of my life! ;-)